Friday, January 20, 2012

Radiotherapy 4 + 5 ...unsalted life and burned skin, but it's done!!

I went to see a panda with Jiro a few days ago to Ueno zoo. She was not very friendly :P
Jiro was visiting me for the past two weeks, which had been very nice to have him around. The bad news is that sadly he left yesterday, but the good news is that I finished all my scheduled treatments yesterday!! My next appointment is in two weeks, where I will discuss with my doctor for evaluations and I'm hoping to know when I will be released.

Unsalted life
About three weeks ago I realized that nothings was tasting yummy. Everything I ate tasted bitter or tasteless. I first thought that either my mom messed up the food or restaurants weren't cooking well anymore. But I was the wrong one. The radiation also reached my tongue and parts of my tongue was burned (confirmed by my doctor), which made me taste food funny. The other day I ate a ramen noodle, which I didn't taste anything for the soup. Since the soup was soy sauce based, I concluded that the taste I'm lacking is the saltiness. Life without salt is very unpleasant, especially since I enjoy eating a lot. On the other hand, it has been quite interesting to find out how much salts are in every food. Now I'm using my tongue as a salt detector (not a very good one though, haha). My burned tongue is expected to be healed in about 1~2 weeks..I hope it'll be back sooner!

Burned skin
As for my other body condition, I had a light fever last week, but I also learned that the fever was caused by my burned skin. Because the radiation also passes my left armpit, my left armpit was suffering greatly from severe burns. There were few days that I couldn't lift my left arm. Currently most of my burned skins on my left armpit and both sides of my neck were peeled off, and I don't have any pain. I never had a sunburn in my life, so it reminds me once again, how intense the radiation is.


2 comments:

  1. Good news! You can visit me in Tokyo in a few weeks then. Btw, the panda looks like Aya (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your radiotherapy is finished and that you and Jiro had a good time together! :) Good job Angie Keep it up! Hope to see you soon!

    -Suzie

    ReplyDelete