Tuesday, July 10, 2012

One year anniversary




On my passport, I have immigration stamp that shows entering Narita, Japan on July 9th, 2011. It's been exactly one year since I got back to Japan for cancer treatment! I feel that time passed by quite fast, faster than usual, especially since I have lost time during chemo treatment.

Remembering chemo
The other day I had to look through medical bills and prescription lists for some purposes. Well, honestly, I couldn't really 'look through', and I could only glance at it, because apparently my body still remembers the names of the enemies who gave great suffering few months ago. I was nauseated.

Ever since I acquired peace in mind and busy time for few months, I sometimes forget what I had gone through. But such reaction of my body tells me what I experienced was indeed significant. I need to remember how lucky I am to be here. When I think that way, nausea from Pavlovian effect doesn't seem that bad.


One year anniversary memorial run
I finally felt like running today. I used to run once a week or so before I found out about lymphoma, but I hadn't run at all since then. Since the weather was nice, I changed to running wear, put my sneakers on, and got out of the house.
I ran for about 2 km, which is short, but enough for my first run in past one year. What's more important is continuing the run. Studies show that frequent exercise reduces chances of falling to cancer. Since I know how wonderful it is to go through cancer treatment, recurrence of cancer is my nightmare. I'm going to run at least once a week, rest of my life.

1 comment: