Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Radiotherapy...0/15~20

Leaves changing colors!! 
First radiotherapy appointment
Today I had an appointment with my radiology doctor to discuss about my treatment plan. The Radiology Department was a lot less crowded; my appointment time was at 10 am, I arrived there at 9:50 am thinking that I will wait for 1~2 hours, but I got to see my doctor at 10:15 am!! Amazing. 

Here are the details on my radiation therapy plan:
  • Total of 15~20 radiation will be done, one treatment everyday starting from next week Wednesday
  • The radiation strength of 20 to 30 Gy will be applied to the area where my lymphoma first appeared (left lower neck, left chest, and left armpit
Possible side effects:
  • Throat sore (so no alcohol for another 3 weeks :( )
  • Skin where the radiation was applied will turn red temporarily
  • The radiation treatment may also affect salivary gland, which may permanently decrease the amount of saliva production
  • The radiation treatment will increase the chances of the onset of cancer in the future, like in 10~30 years
After the doctor's appointment, I got to make a mask for the radiation treatment. I didn't know what to expect, but it was indeed interesting. I'll write about my experience in the next posting. 

もみじ... Japanese Maple
Radiation
Now I think back, I have been taking long flights (normally 8+ hours flight) at least twice a year since I was fourteen, I have done 2 CT scan so far, and now I will be going through radiation therapy. Not only that, I live in Japan now, where the Fukushima nuclear accident has not yet been resolved. That's a lot of radiation I've been and will be exposed, more than what an average human being would be exposed in his/her lifetime. Will this onset another cancer later in my life? I certainly hope not. 

And guess what?
My internal medicine doctor (who I had been seeing every week) told me that my blood count is sufficient for me to start eating anything. This means I can start eating sushi everyday, again! Nevertheless, my doctor said I should still avoid crowds so I can decrease the chance of catching cold. 

1 comment: